Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Easy Peasy Herb Markers!

I hope you enjoyed my little secret garden yesterday!  
Our neighbors all know they're welcome to go in there anytime and get some herbage for dinner.  So I decided to mark everything a little more clearly for them.

To begin I ran to Lowes for a package of wooden shims.  I bought a package of 14 for about $1.50.  Then I got my computer, typed out all the plant names and picked a font that I liked for guidance.  I went with "American Typewriter" for simplicities sake.  
Then it was as simple as writing the names on the shims with a Sharpie.  It's waterproof so it won't run in the rain and it didn't bleed into the wood tooooo badly. 
I love how they turned out, I had to remind myself it's ok if they're not PERFECT...they're going in a garden after all!

Yesterday morning I got up after the rain to put them in the garden, the tapered design of the shims made them pretty easy to get in the ground.



If you're concerned about them decomposing you can spray them with a varnish or polyurethane.  I'm not too worried about it since it will be a fun project to redo next year anyway!

Now it's so much easier to tell everything apart...

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. these are the most adorable markers ever - you and your calligraphy skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat idea! I was looking for some easy inexpensive way to mark my perennial plants in my garden, and this is a wonderful idea.Although my handwriting won't be as beautiful as yours! I'm your newest follower Christyn and would love you to follow me as well. Have a wonderful evening!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your blog...came across it while searching for backyard cottages! I hope you don't mind me sharing on my blog, and of course mentioning how great your blog is! I keep trying to follow you but your "followers" section won't load. I'll keep trying but if I never get it to work please feel free to come follow me...

    ♥Lisney

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!